Historic Harrisburg is a leading organizer and provider of guided and self-guided walking tours.
Guided walking tours, usually about 2 hours in duration, are offered for general public participation several times per year. The cost is $15, $10 for HHA members and $5 for students. Popular tours have included:
- Landmarks and Artworks of the Capitol Complex
- Historic Midtown
- Historic Shipoke
- The Capitol Area Neighborhood
- Riverfront Park and the City Beautiful
- Bellevue Park
Historic Harrisburg also designs and conducts customized walking tours for visiting groups and as part of organized events such as “Harrisburg Civil War Days.” Tours are also offered to school groups, corporate groups and wedding guests (popular group activity on the morning of a wedding). The length and subject matter can be custom tailored to suit the audience.
Historic Harrisburg also has created a number of self-guided walking tours and similar experiences, sometimes in collaboration with other organizations. Recent examples include:
- Assistance with walking tour brochures and the Harrisburg History Project, created by the City of Harrisburg and other entities.
- The Bethel Trail of African-American History, tracing the movement of the Bethel African Methodist Church and its congregation through various historic Harrisburg neighborhoods.
- The Greater Harrisburg YMCA’s “Race Against Racism,” created in 2016 to showcase African-American landmarks of Harrisburg’s “Old Eighth Ward” and Midtown and Uptown neighborhoods.
- An outdoor history trail created in 2016 to commemorate the Centennial History of Harrisburg’s Kipona end-of-summer celebration, featuring 54 pictorial panels displayed throughout the 2016 Labor Day weekend on the Walnut Street Bridge.
Historic Harrisburg also provides guide service and step-on narration for bus tours, including bus groups visiting Harrisburg and local entities that contract with us for guide service. Clients have included:
- Program Planning Associates
- Leadership Harrisburg Area
- Harrisburg University (HHA is the official tour provider for HU’s prospective students)
To explore options for your specialty walking tour or bus tour, please contact Historic Harrisburg’s office at 717.233.4646 or firstname.lastname@example.org.